Sunday 26 September 2010

Watchmen: Review

Before I start, I am not a fan boy of the book and I only read it once, many, many years ago, so entering into the Watchmen world is like enterting into a complete new world. Critics have stated that it may confuse those who haven't experienced them before. I tend to disagree.

The film is 160 mins long, but it didn't bore me once. the plot is so intricate and loaded that you aren't given the opportunity, as you follow the whodunit along with the layered character studies of each of the heroes.

A Wise decision too to cast the film with character actors and not big name stars, each bringing something very different to the film, making it all the more fascinating. If I may be so bold to say this, but if Heath Ledger can win bundles of awards for his portrayal of The Joker, then Jackie Earle Haley should get the chance too, with a striking performance as the slightly psychotic Rorshach.

While everyone raved about The Dark Knight last year, I am going to rave about this, a far tighter and darker movie than the Batman film. TDK had a flabby middle section that slowed the pacing down to almost stop, this, however, doesn't and while I looked at my watch several times during TDK, I didn't once take a sneaky peak during this.

A piece of advice: if you don't like your violence graphic, and get screamish at blood and guts, then be warned. Director Zack Snyder shows it all. If you want an action film that looks great and has more than just a flat storyline, then my advice is run to see this. (And Malin Akerman gets my vote for the sexy superhero of all time).

No comments:

Post a Comment