Friday 17 September 2010

Fame: Review

Almost 30 years ago, alan Parker managed to change the face of musical dramas with an Oscar winning, almost docu-drama of a group of students attending New York's School Of Performing Arts. This was a film that didn't pull any punches in showing the harse reality of life in the business of show, as well as some wonderful moments of cheese (dancing on taxis, anyone?)

So now we get, as Hollywood like to call it, a reinvention of that film. I could call it something far worse than that, but I will try and control myself. This is an energetic remake that suffers from one major flaw. It is so bland.

The story is almost the same. A group of fresh-faced hopefuls, all wanting to achieve fame, come to the school and are put through their paces by world-wary staff, as well as the harsh world outside (except it isn't that harsh). They have relationships, personal troubles and dreams crushed...and that's about it.

Before I start to rip this film apart, I want to say I feel sorry for the young cast. These are a terrfic, energetic bunch let down by a dul script and a director who thinks that realism is shaking the camera a bit. The dialogue is sometimes laughable, and Charles S. Dutton as the drama teacher, gets some of the worse lines of all. Naturi Naughton, as the girl whose father wants her to be a classical pianist but she finds herr voice as a singer, is good, and does a fine job with Out Here On My Own, while Kherington Payne as the pretty dancer can move but is given nothing to push her character along.

Where the original film showed the darker side of the business, this tries and fails miserably. It is more watered down than a glass of water. Just when you think it's going to be brave, it becomes frightened and pulls back, which becomes increasingly annoying. It does prove a point that you can be the most talented person in the world and still fail to make it, but it is quickly brushed over, whereas there should have been hammered home more.

Many won't worry too much about plot or character and will be there for the singing and dancing. Well I have to say there isn't a great deal and when it does come, it isn't that inmpressive. The choreography should have been amazing, but I felt it was lacklustre and unexciting, and with such obvious talent abound, they are not used to their full potential.

This is a film aimed at the High School Musical audience, and while I hate that TV film, it does manage to wipe the floor with this, which even I thought I would never hear myself saying. I just hope and prey that someone will give the talented cast something better to show off what they can do, because it's a waste.

If you want Fame, then don't see this. Get the original, or even get your hands on the 80s TV show. (I need a lie down).

No comments:

Post a Comment